Saturday, November 18, 2006

so behind...

well i know that i am terribly behind in posting on the blog...but c'est la vie...
anyways,  i am officially out of africa. After being in West Africa for the better part of a year, i am now slowly 
but surely making myway home with a few stops to see some friends in 
norway and ireland.

So i'm in norway right now, enjoying not being hot, constant electricity, 
hot showers and soup...
la vie c'est belle.  Norway is a beautiful country, so rugged, pines, 
fijords, mountains...what more can a girl want? it is also pretty much the
 opposite of the beaches and palm trees which were my neighbours the 
past year.  

My farwell to ghana went on in a classic ghanian style.  I decided to have 
all my friends from my dance class come over for a final good bye.  I also 
decided that I would make banku for them since it is a meal they quite enjoy
 (banku is a sticky, sticky ball of dough make through mixingcassava dough 
and ground corn).   So saturday morning my sister and i went to the market to
get all the ingredients, so that on sunday we could start preparing the food at 
12 since people were coming at 4.  Sunday morning rolls around, I am ready
to go, I call everyone to make sure they are coming, many people don't answer 
their phones, some reassure me they will be at my place soon.
 Now I know there is ghanaian time, believe me, I've been in ghana for a year. 
I expceted people to come around 1 as opposed to 12...but after waiting three
 hours without a phone call explaining their tardiness... I've become throughly
 panicked by the thought of 20 people showing up at my house
  for dinner with no food prepared. 
I also am cursing myself for not just making spagetti a meal that at least i can
 get ready on my own.  When  some of the 'prep' people started to roll in
 around 3 i was almost in hysterics.  Which of course they didn't understand...
And in the end i didn't have to worry...because although most of the invited
 guests came early,whilst those who were supposed to come early to help prep
 came late, what ended up happening was one big party of getting food prepared. 
 About 10 of us set to work decapitating fish and mixing banku 
whislt the others drummed away and in very little time the food was ready to enjoy.
 
In the end i had nothing to worry about, my favorite part of the whole party
was everyone working together to get the food ready.
I was reminded again of why I love ghana...things just always seem to work out. 
Eventually the party worked its way to the beach where more drumming and
 dancing happened.  A perfect farwell.  

1 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Laura!

My email is jess[dot]whyte[at]gmail[dot]com

Email me, and please tell me about your desert trip, because I think I want to do something similar (cost/loveliness/all this). I'm so bored without you or Lindsay, even FanIce won't make it all better.

-Jess

12:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home